You are here Information

The Court now accepts online credit card payments from registered CM/ECF Filing Users for certain electronic events for which fees are charged. When e-filing a document that requires a fee, you will be automatically directed to the online payment process. Once you have successfully completed your online payment, you will automatically return to CM/ECF to complete your filing. is a secure web-based application operated by the U.S. Treasury Department which allows users to submit payments electronically to government agencies by credit card. accepts Visa, MasterCard, American Express and Discover credit cards. Debit cards processed through Visa or MasterCard are accepted, however ATM cards that are not branded with the Visa or MasterCard logo cannot be used.
Through the electronic filing fee tool in CM/ECF, credit card payments can be made for the following filing fees only:
  • Motion to Appear Pro Hac Vice
  • Bar Membership Renewal
  • Civil Complaints and Notices of Removal
  • Miscellaneous Case Initiating Documents
  • Petition for a Writ of Habeas Corpus 
  • Notices of Appeal
  • Certificates of Good Standing
  • Duplicate Certificates of Admission


If a payment does not go through, an error screen will appear. Print this error screen or write down the complete message and contact the Clerk's Office at 401-752-7200 between 9:00 a.m. and 4:30 p.m., Monday through Friday.
If you are concerned that your payment did not go through, view your Internet Payment History. Online payments of fees using may be reviewed by going to the Utilities Menu in CM/ECF and choosing Internet Payment History. If the payment does not appear in your Internet Payment History, it was not successful.
If you experience a technical failure with the payment module, your filing session must be restarted from the beginning. has occasional planned maintenance and upgrade outages. Please visit the website for notice of planned outages and to sign up for email notifications if desired.


Refund requests are governed by LR Gen 314. If after reviewing the rule you appear eligible for a refund, you must complete an Application for Refund which is available below or by clicking here, and together with supporting documentation email it to
Below please find the Application for Refund and other helpful materials:
For questions or information pertaining to the use of, please contact the Clerk's Office at (401) 752-7200.